Wednesday, August 31, 2011

VIFF, Eugene Chadbourne, Blank City

Eugene Chadbourne, Darren Williams and Kenton Loewen, by Femke van Delft, not to be reused without permission

Still phasing myself out, but am realizing that the Vancouver International Film Festival is around the corner. I may pop back up to write about a film or two here, I don't know.

Meantime, note: next week,Eugene Chadbourne plays Kozmic Zoo with Darren Williams and... I'm not quite sure who is drumming, but it's on Monday September 5th. Then he plays Nyala (as part of the Audio Hallucinations accordion fest) on September 6th, alongside bands like Ejaculation Death Rattle. Eugene is the most exciting musician in America, by me, a true great and a true original. Nardwuar the Human Serviette will interview him on his show this Friday. See him here with departed Mothers of Invention drummer Jimmy Carl Black. A past interview with Doc Chad is here.


Eugene Chadbourne at one of the final shows at the previous incarnation of The Cobalt

Oh, and people who have cared about the stuff I've written about here probably will want to see the film Blank City, about New York in the '70s and '80's. Eugene doesn't appear to be in the film, which seems a curious omission. John Lurie is - a recent interview. Haven't seen it myself, but I guess I kinda have to!

No comments: