Saturday, May 25, 2013

Bison, the Rebel Spell: two gigs

Had a trip to the island Thursday, to see that girl who I was seeing, who I guess I'm seeing again, and we looked in on Bison at Victoria's Lucky Bar (thanks to the guys for allowing me to cadge a guestlisting - I did buy a black vinyl Lovelessness, which I'm just about to spin now). We only stayed for a few songs - I just wanted to give my gal a taste of Bison; I realize it's not her type of music, but few bands get closer to my soul with their music, and Lovelessness is truly a majestic album (silly, silly Metal Blade, eh?). Still, she appreciated that the moshpit mostly kept to the moshpit (the Lucky Bar is narrow with brick walls, so moshers tend to be careful about careening sideways); she thought Dan was - I think she said "shockingly hot" - when he took his cap off, showing off his new haircut; likened - no surprise here - Matt Wood to Animal; appreciated the joyfulness in Masa's engagement; and - I mean, she said it, not me - thought James seemed strangely "angelic" as he performed. All the same, we ducked out after "Wendigo," about four songs in - it was hot in there, we were tired, and we hadn't been to bed yet...
Sorry to have missed the band at the Biltmore the next night, but I'd ended up waking up with a migraine at 5am, that haunted me for the rest of the day, so I was in no state. I still checked out a few songs at the Rebel Spell event - my other favourite local band - since it was a nice and early gig, and I could still catch a bus homw, but I was barely even there (I only caught one whole set by any of the bands present, that being the garage punk band the Living Deadbeats - a fun band!). It made a good pitstop on the way from Victoria back to Maple Ridge, anyhow... Cheers to both Bison and the Rebel Spell for making such marvelous music; I'll catch both again at their next shows, to be sure...
All bad cellphone photos by Allan MacInnis.

No comments: