Saturday, April 02, 2016

Midnight Special: Al's must-sees

I'm totally excited about Jeff Nichols' new movie, Midnight Special, though I want to know as little about it as possible. I've seen all his previous features: Shotgun Stories, Take Shelter, and Mud. All of them feature Michael Shannon; probably the strongest of them, Take Shelter - about a man who may or may not be in the grips of mental illness, who is convinced an apocalyptic storm is coming - has him front and centre in the cast, giving one of the most powerful performances I've seen in a 21st century movie. Seek it out forthwith if you've missed it. The new film has something to do with a man who flees a cult with his child, who may have "special powers." I don't want to know a thing more, myself - it's playing in Vancouver now, and I'm sold on both Nichols and Shannon - but the trailer is here, if you need it. And hey, holy shit, Sam Shepard is in it! Sold.

No comments: